29.10.09

Me'ikeh - Speciality of Maghdouche - Salt kjeks fra Maghdouche

I have never eaten "Me'ikeh" or "M3ikeh" outside Maghdouche. Correct me if I am wrong, but for me, it is a Maghdouche speciality by default. "Me'ikeh" as a snack has the exotic smell of "El Wa3r" and the taste of "Nab3et el7ommar" (These are local area names).

Ingredients:

1 kilo wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup roasted sesame seeds
½ cup wild pine seeds “7abb ereish” (optional)
2 cups fresh thymes (Zaatar) washed and chopped (out of season I use dried Zaatar flowers)
2 cups vegetable oil
2 – 4 glasses water
Oppskriften på norsk:
1 kg. hvetemel
1 ts. bakepulver
1/2 ts. salt
1 kopp ristede sesamfrø
1/2 kopp furufrø ( ut og plukk, for de norske frøene smaker vidunderlig godt)
2 kopper frisk timian eller tørket med blomster
2 kopper god olje
2- 4 glass vann (deigen skal være tørr, men henge sammen)


Preparation:
1) Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sesame seeds, wild pine seeds and timian
2) Add oil

3) With both your hands, crumble the mixture and oil until the oil is absorbed equally
4) Add half of the water and mix
5) Add the rest of the water little by little and stop when nothing of the flour is left in the bowl

6) Divide dough into handful pieces
7) Shape each piece into a ball and let rest for 15 minutes
8) Roll each ball to a flat round
9) Place onto oven trays and bake ,approx. 175 degree, until the rounds get a golden colour (I love them well roasted)
10) Serve when cold

2 kommentarer:

Rami Zurayk sa...

Great blog, great project! And I have never heard of me'ikeh! And I thought I knew my way around traditional Lebanese food! I'll pay you a visit next time I'm in the south, I go very often, usually on saturdays.

troro - the artists behind sa...

Hello Rami, your comment made my day! Thank you very much. I am following your blog and you are doing a great job too.
Unfortunately I am not in Lebanon right now but would be really nice if we can meet when I am there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails